TikTok is so much more than dance videos (although those are great too!).
It’s vast, having become the world’s most popular entertainment app. And It’s a place of expression – and so a great source of consumer insight.
The short-video format on TikTok is perfect for snappy medical advice. #Migraine has more than 200 million views in total and is used for a variety of reasons. These include:
- Raising awareness and advocating for people to take chronic migraines more seriously.
- Sharing migraine ‘hacks’ and tips – some more medically sound than others.
- Sharing experiences and empathising with others – sometimes through humour.
- Education around the causes, triggers and treatment of migraine.
One of the most popular accounts posting migraine TikToks is @TheMigraineDoc. Boasting more than 420 000 followers, @TheMigraineDoc is an IRL doctor who uses TikTok to educate sufferers, myth bust inaccurate info, and promote his own medical services.
The success of #Migraine presents an opportunity for healthcare brands: it shows an appetite for receiving health information and advice on TikTok, particularly amongst a younger (Gen Z) audience. However, we saw no evidence of brands creating organic content around migraines – outside of individuals advertising their services.
So how might brands use TikTok to share information about #migraine or other health conditions?
- Non-qualified people are sharing medical info and treatment ‘hacks’. There is a need for brands to correct this – by ‘myth-busting’ and ensuring consumers are receiving accurate, succinct information.
- The use of TikTok for advocacy and sharing support shows that there is a need for brands to support migraine sufferers on an emotional level – it’s not just about physical relief.
- Working with influencers who are established on TikTok (e.g. @TheMigraineDoc) can help to build credibility and audience – and is one of the ways of overcoming Gen Z’s reluctance to engage with branded content.
To find out how you can use social data for better business insights, get in touch with us at email@example.com.